Software Engineering-The Projects

In order to manage a successful software project, we must understand what can go wrong (so that problems can be avoided) and how to do it r...

In order to manage a successful software project, we must understand what can go wrong (so that problems can be avoided) and how to do it right. In an excellent paper on software projects, John Reel  defines ten signs that indicate that an information systems project is in jeopardy:

1. Software people don’t understand their customer’s needs.
2. The product scope is poorly defined.
3. Changes are managed poorly.
4. The chosen technology changes.
5. Business needs change [or are ill-defined].
6. Deadlines are unrealistic.
7. Users are resistant.
8. Sponsorship is lost [or was never properly obtained].
9. The project team lacks people with appropriate skills.
10. Managers [and practitioners] avoid best practices and lessons learned.

Jaded industry professionals often refer to the 90–90 rule when discussing particularly difficult software projects: The first 90 percent of a system absorbs 90 percent of the allotted effort and time. The last 10 percent takes the other 90 percent of the allotted effort and time . The seeds that lead to the 90–90 rule are contained in the signs noted in the preceeding list. But enough negativity! How does a manager act to avoid the problems just noted?

Reel suggests a five-part commonsense approach to software projects:

1. Start on the right foot. This is accomplished by working hard (very hard) to understand the problem that is to be solved and then setting realistic objects and expectations for everyone who will be involved in the project. It is reinforced by building the right team and giving the team the autonomy, authority, and technology needed to do the job.

2. Maintain momentum. Many projects get off to a good start and then slowly disintegrate. To maintain momentum, the project manager must provide incentives to keep turnover of personnel to an absolute minimum, the team should emphasize quality in every task it performs, and senior management should do everything possible to stay out of the team’s way.

3. Track progress. For a software project, progress is tracked as work products (e.g., specifications, source code, sets of test cases) are produced and approved (using formal technical reviews) as part of a quality assurance activity. In addition, software process and project measures  can be collected and used to assess progress against averages developed for the software development organization.

4. Make smart decisions. In essence, the decisions of the project manager and the software team should be to “keep it simple.” Whenever possible, decide to use commercial off-the-shelf software or existing software components, decide to avoid custom interfaces when standard approaches are available, decide to identify and then avoid obvious risks, and decide to allocate more time than you think is needed to complex or risky tasks.

5. Conduct a postmortem analysis. Establish a consistent mechanism for extracting lessons learned for each project. Evaluate the planned and actual schedules, collect and analyze software project metrics, get feedback from team members and customers, and record findings in written form.

Best Online Tutorials | Source codes | Programming Languages: Software Engineering-The Projects
Software Engineering-The Projects
Best Online Tutorials | Source codes | Programming Languages
Loaded All Posts Not found any posts VIEW ALL Readmore Reply Cancel reply Delete By Home PAGES POSTS View All RECOMMENDED FOR YOU LABEL ARCHIVE SEARCH ALL POSTS Not found any post match with your request Back Home Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat January February March April May June July August September October November December Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec just now 1 minute ago $$1$$ minutes ago 1 hour ago $$1$$ hours ago Yesterday $$1$$ days ago $$1$$ weeks ago more than 5 weeks ago Followers Follow THIS PREMIUM CONTENT IS LOCKED STEP 1: Share to a social network STEP 2: Click the link on your social network Copy All Code Select All Code All codes were copied to your clipboard Can not copy the codes / texts, please press [CTRL]+[C] (or CMD+C with Mac) to copy Table of Content