The first step in system testing is to prepare a plan that will test all aspects of the system in a way that promotes its credibility among ...
The first step in system testing is to prepare a plan that will test all aspects of the system in a way that promotes its credibility among potential users.
Activity network for system testing:
A test plan consists of the following activities
1. Prepare test plan:
A test plan includes the following items
1. Outputs expected from the system
2. Criteria for evaluating outputs
3. A volume of test data
4. Procedure for using test data
5. Personnel and training requirements
2. Specify conditions for user acceptance testing
Planning for user acceptance testing calls for the analyst and the user to agree on the conditions for the test. Many of these conditions may be derived from the test plan. Others are an agreement on the test schedule, the test duration and the persons designated for the test. The start and termination dates for the test should also be specified in advance
3. Prepare Test data for program testing:
As each program is coded, test data are prepared and documented to ensure that all aspects of the program are properly tested. The data are filed for future reference.
4. Prepare Test data for transaction path testing:
This activity develops the data required for testing every condition and transaction to be introduced into the system. The path for each transaction from origin to destination is carefully tested for reliable results.
5. Plan user training:
User training is designed to prepare the user for testing and converting the system. User involvement and training take place parallel with programming for three reasons
- The system group has time for training.
- Gives the systems group a clearer image of the user’s interest in the new system
- A trained user participates more effectively in system testing
For user training, preparation of a checklist is useful. This includes provisions for developing training materials like training manuals and other documents to complete training activity. Facility requirements and the necessary hardware are specified and documented. A common procedure is used to train the supervisors for the following reasons
- User supervisors are knowledgeable about the capabilities of their staff
- Staff members usually respond more favorably and accept instructions better from supervisors than from outsiders
- Familiarity of users with their particular problems makes them better candidates for handling user training than the systems analyst. The analyst gets feedback to ensure that proper training is provided
All programs have to be compiled/assembled for testing. Before this, a complete program description should be available. It should include the purpose of the program, its use, the programmers who prepared it and the amount of computer time it takes to run it. Program and system flowcharts of the project should be available for reference. Three types of activities are done in this phase
- Desk checking the source code uncovers programming errors.
- A run order schedule specifies the transactions to test and the order in which they should be tested.
- A test scheme specifies how program should be debugged. Consists of 2 approaches as follows
- Bottom-up approach tests small-scale program modules which are linked to a higher level module and so on until the program is completed.
- Top-down approach where the general program is tested first, followed by the addition of program modules one level at a time to the lowest level
In this activity the materials to be used by personnel to run the system are specified and scheduled. This includes a display of materials such as program codes, a list of input codes attached to the CRT terminal, and a posted instruction schedule to load the disk drive. These aids reduce the training and employ personnel at lower positions
8. Prepare Operational Documents:
During the test plan stage, all operational documents are finalized. Also section on the experience, training and educational qualifications of personnel for the proper operation of the new system is also documented.